Wednesday, November 16, 2016

11/16 Student Posts

Hi guys! This is Charlotte. This afternoon we had some free time. Everyone decided to use this time to go shopping. My group went to an area by the Incan ruins. There were many different vendors there with a variety of Peruvian things, though most stands were similar. The differences in the stands were the prices. We were walking down the street and someone came up to us to ask us if we wanted a painting, jewelry, or an alpaca teddy bear. If we found something we liked, we could bargain on the price. I usually asked for five soles less than their offer. For example, one person in my group was interested in getting something. He went to three stands and the prices were 70 soles, 40 soles, and then finally 20 soles. It was very fun to bargain with the vendors because it is not something that we do in North America.  

Dad I had an idea for a new soup for your restaurant: Peruvian inspired with quinoa, chicken broth, chicken, broccoli, and spices.

I miss you all, though I am having a great time here and wouldn’t leave for a pint of haagen dazs vanilla ice cream, which is what I really want you to bring to the airport for me when I get back.
-Charlotte


Hello everyone! This is Lillian Humber and today I want to talk about my experience with the first graders at the school. I was in a Language Arts class, and the minute I walked in the kids were very welcoming and offered me a seat. The little boy I sat next to was Rodrigo and the second I sat down he said “Woah” and started touching my skin. Then he said (in spanish) that I have white skin. I realized that maybe he had never seen someone with lighter skin than his own, and that made me feel very fortunate, because we get the opportunity to travel across the world and experience and interact with different cultures and people. Then, they asked me to translate words from spanish to english and here Michael is spelled Maykol so they pronounced our spelling Me-kal-ey. Also, I got to see my host dad today, because usually their shop is open until 9:30, but today he had a long bike tour and decided to come home. We learned that he speaks a lot of english and he is very nice just like Jackie, Piero, and Ian.

I miss you mom, dad, and Maple, and I hope all is well at school.
Goodbye all! -Lillian H


Hello Everyone! This is Emma.  So far, Peru has been such a great experience, and we’re all having a lot of fun.  Today we went back to the school in Ollantaytambo.  Each day, we switch from doing service work and visiting the classes. Today I visited the class of communication.  This class is kind of like language arts, but it had to do more with reading and communicating with others.  All the kids were very welcoming and really good at soccer.  After visiting the school, we went down to a soccer field and played soccer against the boys, along with their eight-year old friends.  The girls remain pretty much undefeated.  Then, after lunch with our host families, we had some free time to walk around the town of Ollantaytambo.  Peruvians drive a hard bargain.  
To all my family and friends, I miss you all and can’t wait to see you when I get back.


Bye! Emma Dickinson

0 comments:

Post a Comment