Thursday, November 17, 2016

11/17 student posts

Hello! This is Gwen, and today I’m talking about our experience at the school in Urubamba.  The school was different than the one we have been going to in Ollantaytambo. It's a middle school and high school combined, and is one of the best schools in Peru. When we got there, they were outside voting for their student body president, so we had to wait a little bit. After that, we played some games with the P.E. class. Everybody was hesitant at first and a bit shy, but the kids were very nice, and the games were fun.  We also saw that when people were late to class, they had to work and earn their way back into class. Everyday, the students have to bring a plastic bottle, and to stay in the school you have to be very devoted to it. After P.E., we split up and got to go into some different classes such as English, communication (language arts), history, and hand crafts. I was in history, which was very interesting, although I didn’t understand much. The kids were also very welcoming.  After class, we had a break, and then we all gathered in one classroom to learn about the project between the school, SMA, and the World Leadership School to get the school tablets, and more technology to assist in their learning. I think this is a very good idea and I hope they are able to get them.  Overall, it was really fun and interesting to see what their school is like.

To my mom, dad, sister, and friends, I miss you so much and am really looking forward to seeing you again!


This is Kevin speaking (well, typing), but, first and foremost, Hi family, I miss you guys so much! Looking forward to seeing you guys! Say hi to Chip for me! Anyway, after our visit to the school in Urubamba, We did some community service work for the school in Ollantaytambo. Today, the work involved moving bags of cement from a storage place to the school. That was easier said than done. If you’ve never tried to move three heavy bags of cement in a wheelbarrow, here is a summary: It is very heavy, It takes, like, 4 people, and It can be a very, VERY, slow process. Also, we had to move 20 or 30 foot long pieces of rebar across town, and avoiding rush hour traffic with something that long is not necessarily an easy task. Regardless of this, those 2 or 3 hours of work we did felt like 10 minutes, because everyone was having fun, laughing, and making jokes along the way. Personally, I think the community service aspect of this trip is one of the most fulfilling parts of this trip, and I think I speak for everyone here when I say that It feels good to help other people out, even if it is just a small thing like moving cement or rebar. All in all, It was a really fun day, and I’m looking forward to tomorrow.




Hey this is Andrew speaking, today we went to the school in Urubamba where things are done very differently. Say, as soon as we walked in to the school, all the kids were lined up in rows voting on there student body president, which was very interesting. But I am not here to talk about the school or the service work we did today in Ollantaytambo. I am here to talk about my host family. They are thoughtful people every time we see them. When my half of my group had a stomach ache earlier this week, the grandmother helped us by making us soup and forcing us to eat our food to feel better. My friends in my host family (Claire, Charlotte, and Mac) and I have all connected with the little boy named Sebastian, he is so sweet and kind and thankful for everything he gets. Especially when I gave him a new soccer ball with a pump. He was frozen in shock and joy that he just stood there and said “For me?’ That was a great day. Today at lunch, we had soup, chicken and rice. Afterwards we went to our homestay Mom’s shop near the ruins of the Incan's. This was so much fun. For one, we got a lower price, and we got to see how some people make a living.  
To my family I miss you all so much and hope to be home soon. At the end of the day it was so much fun.

0 comments:

Post a Comment